[nycphp-talk] [Slightly OT] Profiling Site Response Time

Nasir Zubair nasir81 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:21:55 EST 2008

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest an offline program or utility to profile response time
for an intranet website during various visits.

I'm trying troubleshooting a peculiar problem with one of our intranet
websites in IE6. The site is not fully functional in non-IE browsers (IE6
being the company standard). On the first visit to site for the day, the
site takes good 30-45 seconds to respond, any subsequent visits are under 1
sec, as expected. After some general testing (cache, cookies, etc.) I am
fairly confident that the workstation configuration are not a problem. The
issue can be reproduced on a number of workstations using a number of
different NT accounts. For every account, the slow down is only once, during
the initial visit.

I have been looking for various tools to profile the site response and have
consistently been running into the following issues:

1. the site is on an intranet, inaccessible from the internet, which rules
out all the online tools.
2. the site is using SSL, which caused Fiddler (
http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/) and couple of other utilities to skip
it altogether.

I am not the developer of the site in question, but since I'm given the task
of troubleshooting the issue, I want to back up my obvious conclusions with
some numbers.

Thanks in advance.

- Nasir