[nycphp-talk] Saving data from forms

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Thu Feb 7 20:44:44 EST 2008

Anthony Wlodarski wrote:
> I was just writing something up and I have a question about saving data
> from forms for a password.
> So the logic for what I want to do is something like this:
> Input from form -> check for magic quotes(if not then add quotes) -> md5
> value -> save to database.
> Now what happens if you change the logic to:
> Input from form -> md5 value -> save to database.
> Other individuals I have discussed this with would say that if you are
> on a platform without magic quotes then the md5 values will be
> different.  Is this the case?

That may very well be, but that comes only into play when you carry the
database from one system with magicquotes to one without or vice versa, or end
up having the magicquotes enabled after an update, but not before or the other
way around. As long as you operate on a system that either has magicquotes or
not it doesn't matter in the end. I use the same password obfuscation and used
it on several systems without a problem, but maybe I was just lucky?

David