[nycphp-talk] Why do "cool kids" choose PHP to build websites instead of Java

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:37:08 EST 2008

Tim:

You're not to fault, and the point about Java collections Vs array() is
pretty good, unfortunately, I never made it that far because I was
completely turned off by the "article", the exact text Tim was referring to:

James Anderson wrote: The really simple answer is that after the release of
php 5, php became the better language. Just one example -- collections; php
has one all purpose collection type which is an array/hash/stack or queue
depending on how you choose to use it, and, as you can store any object or
another array in the array it handles any type of tree. Java on the other
hand has:- ArrayList, AttributeList, BeanContextSupport,
CopyOnWriteArrayList, CopyOnWriteArraySet, DelayQueue, EnumSet, HashSet,
LinkedHashSet, LinkedList, PriorityQueue, RoleList, RoleUnresolvedList,
Stack, TreeSet, Vector etc. etc. and this is only from the official "
java.util....." there are thousands of other "collection" classes out there.
Nearly of the functionality provided by this mass of classes is available in
php's 'Array()' type. And php does it faster!

- jake