[nycphp-talk] List of langauge/country names and codes

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat Jan 5 17:15:38 EST 2008

Gary Mort wrote:
> Google ISO and country codes, there is a standard set of country to
> country code mappings, along with a standard set of language to language
> code mappings.

After some extensive googling I found that the ISO codes are crap omitting
about 80% of the langauges spoken in the world. That is why SIL created a new
list, which is obviously way larger and uses three letter codes. Both lists
are published and free to use (as far as I can tell), but both fail to list
the languages in their native names. So for someone who doesn't speak English
these lists are useless. In any case, the complete list is available here:
http://www.ethnologue.com/codes/

I guess I keep on searching...

David