[nycphp-talk] Installing PHP/MySQL on in-house MS server

B.A.S. lists at nopersonal.info
Mon Jan 14 21:59:17 EST 2008

I have a potential client referred to me by their network guy. The
client wants a simple CMS, which I'm comfortable doing. I'm basically
subbing as the network guy will handle the paper and mark up my rate by
a certain number of percentage points.

The client is running Windows Server 2003 in-house. Neither PHP nor
MySQL is installed, and those are the only things I know. The network
guy is aware of this and says he prefers to keep their server in-house,
but can get outside hosting if necessary. He said I'm welcome to install
PHP/MySQL on the in-house server, but I'd have to configure them myself.

That prospect terrifies me as I'm not that far past past newbie stage.
I've been reading up on PHP security, but don't feel the least bit
qualified to _securely_ set up & configure things up in a production
environment as the only installations I've done have been on my home LAN
for testing purposes.

I'd love to learn how to do it, but not the expense of potentially
exposing the client to a massive security breach and making myself look
like a fool. I _do_ need to tell the network guy to just go ahead and
find a hosting company, right?

TIA,
Bev