[nycphp-talk] Why do "cool kids" choose PHP to build websites instead of Java

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Tue Jan 15 08:41:02 EST 2008

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> Kenneth Downs wrote:
>
>> A content-free emotive statement.
>> It would be more accurate to say that it follows a set of principles
>> you do not share, namely, weak typing.  We would expect you as a java
>> dude to prefer strong typing.  Strong typing to me is inappropriate in
>> a web layer, and reduces my productivity.  Is it insane?  No, just
>> incompatible with my design goals and methods.
>>

> The issue is neither strong nor weak typing. The issue is the violation
> of basic Aristotelian logic.

I confess I am somewhat confused  by what you mean by
"violation of basic Aristotelian logic".

Aristotle argues (in 'On Interpretation') that a single assertion must
always either affirm or deny a single predicate of a single subject.
(cf: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-logic/#PreStrAss )

That is to say (according to Aristotle) assertions (apophanseis) are
either 'True' or 'Not True'.

That logic is the basis of two-valued first order predicate calculus.
(which is the fancy way of saying Boolean Algebra)

Michael Southwell says:
"these answers are exactly right, given that $a is an integer,
$b and $c are strings, and $d is unset..."

That is there are three possible states:
'True', 'Not True', and 'Undefined'

And,we are dealing with three-valued first order predicate calculus.

Now if you are saying Aristotelian logic doesn't apply here,
then I would heartily agree.

But if you are saying Aristotelian logic should apply here
then I don't understand how you get to that conclusion.

--

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com