[nycphp-talk] Transitioning from Beginner to Intermediate PHP

B.A.S. lists at nopersonal.info
Wed Jan 16 22:30:34 EST 2008

Brian O'Connor wrote:
> The best way I learned was just to do something that was relevant.  Even
> today when learning new things, if I am just learning the theory and not
> actually putting it into place I don't grasp it as well.  Make yourself
> a homepage, and put the things you want on there.  Like sports?  Figure
> out how to make a sports blog with predictions or whatever.  When I was
> learning, I created my homepage with a blog, calendar, and a gallery
> because that's what I wanted to create, and I learned the most from
> that.  Things start to click when you're more engaged.

You know, last year I got the opportunity to take over a custom built
CMS that had been abandoned halfway through by the original programmer
and that was a great (but harrowing) learning experience. I've also done
a few login systems and have gotten pretty good with processing forms,
but, you're right, I really should do more. I mean I should try
something that I've never done before.

I already have a web site for my graphic & web design work, but I've
always wanted to create a secure area where clients can review their
project assets and such, so maybe I'll do that. A blog and/or photo
gallery could be interesting too. Calendars scare me. :)

Thanks for the feedback,
Bev