[nycphp-talk] Templating engines

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchas at touro.edu
Thu Jan 17 10:08:52 EST 2008

Greetings all --

The current thread on beginner to intermediate has brought up Smarty; I
have been wondering about the relative advantanges of PHP templating
engines.  The only two I'm familiar with (superficially) are Smarty and
PHPTAL.  I didn't find much discussion about them, but it seems to me
that PHPTAL is a more pure templating environment, with greater
separation of logic and content.  On the other hand, I think I've read
that Smarty is particularly strong in terms of performance, given its
template compiling.

Though I haven't heard much discussion, it seems like whenever I hear
about templating, it's using Smarty.  Does anyone have any thoughts on
Smarty/PHPTAL/other engines that may be out there?

Thanks,
--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Librarian