[nycphp-talk] Templating engines

dellsala dell at sala.ca
Thu Jan 17 21:03:40 EST 2008

John Campbell-6 wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2008 10:08 AM, Yitzchak Schaffer <yitzchas at touro.edu> wrote:
>>  Though I haven't heard much discussion, it seems like whenever I hear
>> about
>> templating, it's using Smarty.  Does anyone have any thoughts on
>> Smarty/PHPTAL/other engines that may be out there?
>
> Templating is built into php, unfortunately many people don't figure out
> how to
> use it correctly.  Below is a class that provide smarty like
> templating in less than 25 lines of code:

I've been using a similar, light-weight template class for over 3 years now.
Personally, I can find a compelling reason to use anything else. To me, the
big advantages of a technique like this are:

* small code-base
* familiar code (no weird markup language to learn)
* easy to implement caching
* speed

Here are some links to more about this point of view:

http://www.massassi.com/php/articles/template_engines/
http://www.phppatterns.com/docs/design/templates_and_template_engines
http://paul-m-jones.com/?p=273
http://phpsavant.com/yawiki/ (also Paul Jones)