[nycphp-talk] Anyone using Amazon S3 for backup?

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sat Jan 19 13:38:25 EST 2008

> > For servers:
> > www.raidarray.net
>
> This looks very interesting. Surprising the the std. service is ftp, which
> is not secure, instead of sftp. rsync over ssh looks good though.

Yeah, they're great.  I of course have sftp/smb/rsync enabled and only allow
FTP access when through my VPN.  Their service is well firewalled, so you
have to request holes, which they're happy to customize.

> > As far as my opinion on S3 - interesting, but not where I want to put my
> > most valuable data.
>
> Why? Because of security or reliability concerns?

Yeah, both.  I wasn't impressed with the SLA, and the access methods don't
appeal to me.  It feels a lot more like a CDN, than a secure remote storage
solution - then again, maybe I'm just old fashioned.