[nycphp-talk] [OT] Asian Font Display Issue in Firefox Web Browser

Peter Sawczynec ps at sun-code.com
Sat Jan 19 22:40:40 EST 2008

Yo necesito sus dos centavos. Y gracias in advance mis amigos.

Browser: Firefox 3.0b2

OS: Windows Vista Ultimate

Certain web pages and/or web sites will display all or some Asian
characters

instead of Western English in my on screen, inside the browser display
only.

regular

Western English characters.

Googling this issue gets me no practical results. And that is rare as I
usually can solve

anything in a google search.

I found one dated resource that suggested that this was a UTF-8 issue.
That something

somewhere was not rendering UTF-8 character encoding properly.

As an example, a page that is rendering partial Asian characters has
these HTML headers:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

In Firefox in my Options >> Fonts >> Advanced,  I have these settings:

Serif font set to: Tahoma,

Sans-serif set to: Arial Unicode MS, and

Default Character encoding set to: Western (ISO-8859-1).

Any thoughts? Has anyone tangoed darkly with this evanescent insidious
weirdness.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec

Technology Dir.