[nycphp-talk] Templating engines

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Sun Jan 20 13:39:46 EST 2008

Gary Mort wrote:
> Yitzchak Schaffer wrote:
>> Greetings all --
>>
>> The current thread on beginner to intermediate has brought up Smarty;
>> I have been wondering about the relative advantanges of PHP
>> templating engines.
>
> A templating engine has two purposes.
>

> 2) It provides a simplified mechanism for changing the presentation
> logic, without requiring changes to complex code.

People have tried to convince me to use Smarty for Andromeda and I could
never quite swallow why because it seemed to me that PHP *was* the
templating language.  I also didn't like what I saw as a lot of
redundancies involved in invoking a smarty template.

But yesterday Donald Organ convinced me quite thoroughly.  The argument
was that your creative person who doesn't know PHP and never will can
put a smarty template into Dreamweaver, play around with it, and hand
you back something that you can just drop in.

Further, since everything we do assumes the presence of a complete data
dictionary, we can just generate that tedious code that maps smarty
variables to PHP stuff, and it could be quite a win.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.