[nycphp-talk] mysql slow Internet connection trickery

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 12:33:13 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Hans Zaunere <lists at zaunere.com> wrote:

> You may want to consider using web services.  Data would be stored in a
> local MySQL database, and then as you mention, a central server aggregates
> the data from all the locations.
>
> The reason I mention web services, is that HTTP is typically more robust
> over flakey connectivity than database protocols are.

Hans, have you seen something like this in production? It seems like a
great open source project that could become part of MySQL's lineup,
for use in exactly the type of situation that Allen describes.

MySQL Master <--> HTTPS Transaction Broker <--> Remote MySQL Cache

It's kind of the same architecture that Gears wants to put you in on
the client: you keep a local copy of all the data that's important to
you, synchronized whenever you are online with the main database. The
pattern is everywhere, but I've never seen a tool that was
purpose-built to do this between MySQL instances.

   chris.