[nycphp-talk] Returning users from whiniest they came

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Fri Jul 11 09:09:06 EDT 2008

Hi Paul,

As someone pointed out earlier this week, unless your app is set up so
that the only entry point to it is a link from another URL, in most
cases your user's entry point into your app would be typing the address
directly, in which case there would not be an HTTP_REFERRER.

> Hi Chris ,
>
> I genuinely believe that I have a misunderstanding of what the
HTTP_REFERER
> is all about. I was trying to grab the address just before the user
entered
> "my" application.
>
> In my INDEX.PHP,  I used an extra script named LOGIN.PHP, where the
> HTTP_REFERER was captured.  Then in turn LOGIN.PHP called another
script
> named LOGON.PHP which picked up the HTTP_REFERER information. which
in my
> case is the url name of  my INDEX.PHP, Which of course pointed the
way into
> the application in the first place.
>
> Within the application HTTP_REFERER works just fine. I can see its
potential
> and some importance possible uses within applications.
>
> I am guessing the way around my problem is to forget the use of
HTTP_REFERER

<paulcheung at tiscali.co.uk>