[nycphp-talk] PHP caching (not opcode)

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Thu Jul 17 19:04:12 EDT 2008

Hi Patrick,

> I'm working on a PHP cache library, and I wanted to check in and see what
> folks thought.

First thoughts: why not Zend or Pear cache libraries?

http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.cache.theory.html#zend.cache.factory
http://pear.php.net/package/Cache_Lite
http://pear.php.net/package/Cache

The pear packages are looking for maintainers - perhaps you could roll
your work into that?

> Usually, you have many different front end views that you will want to
> cache.  These may pull from multiple datasources in odd ways.

So, what is your goal with this caching library?  FE caching can be
fixed with more boxes or a squid layer.  Datasources can be harder to
cache but will be much more valuable when you try to scale.

Tom
http://www.liphp.org