[nycphp-talk] PHP caching (not opcode)

bzcoder bzcoder at bzcode.com
Mon Jul 21 17:41:50 EDT 2008

Patrick May wrote:

> I know this could be done with:
>
>   system('find /cache | grep article | xargs rm -f');
>
> and I do question what's wrong with such a simple line of code :D
>
> I want a simple abstract "clear cache" line of code to embed in
> various CMS locations, while the actual mechanics of clearing cache
> are managed by the library.  By simplifing the process of describing
> something that is cached, I hope to have widespread 'perfect' caching.

Perhaps this goes without saying, but I was assuming you were thinking
of file system caching only as the basic underlying method, and not the
only method.

IE you have a system cache setup as:

$cache->check("somecode1");
$cache->get("somecode1");
$cache->save("somecode1");
$cache->clear("code1");

But your actual cache function should be extendable, so it can cache to
the file system, it can cache to a database, and it can cache to
memcached(http://www.danga.com/memcached/).

That way your scalable from people who need file system caching, to
people who want a central repository and can't do shared files, and
then people who want to maximize performance and can throw memory at the
problem.