[nycphp-talk] upgrading PHP on CentOS 5 -- or should I?

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Wed Jul 30 20:54:20 EDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Michael B Allen wrote:
>> You can always compile PHP yourself.
>
> And then re-compile it for every patch level release?

That's why you write build scripts. Especially for a minor version
update, my upgrade procedure is:

cd /src/archive
wget http://.....php-X-Y-Z.tar.gz
cd ..
emacs build.php
[edit some line that looks like "export PHP_VERSION=X-Y-Y" to read
"export PHP_VERSION=X-Y-Z]
exit emacs
./build.php

Well, actually, my setup is a little more complicated (it compiles a
bunch of things, openssl, zlib, mhash, etc, then builds apache and
php, linking against the various libraries)

If anyone's interested, I can try to document them and up them up on
the web somehwere.

Binary packages are great, until they're not.  In my experience, it's
worth spending a few days putting together some scripts to compile
what you need.  That way, you know what you're getting.

-Tim