[nycphp-talk] 3D ANIMATION

Mark Armendariz lists at enobrev.com
Wed Jun 4 15:24:28 EDT 2008

csnyder wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:02 PM,  <paul at gubavision.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm a visual artist not a coder.  I dabble in PHP.  I haven't looked in a
>> while but I have not really found an good easy to understand and use 3D
>> rendering program.
>>

> Does Google Sketchup count?
> http://sketchup.google.com/
>
> I've heard it's pretty easy to use. You can embed the output in Google
> Earth, but I don't know you can embed the output in a web page other
> than as a screenshot.

Google Sketchup does indeed have a pretty easy interface.  I recommend
it as well.

There's also an open source 3d App called blender:
http://www.blender.org/

 From WikiPedia: "Blender has a robust feature set similar in scope and
depth to other high-end 3D software such as Softimage|XSI
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softimage_XSI>, Cinema 4D
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_4D>, 3ds Max
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3ds_Max>, Lightwave
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightwave> and Maya
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_%28software%29>"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)

I'm not sure what your needs are, but this could be a reason to get
creative and break some ground.  If you search for "3d engine canvas"
(sans quotes), you'll find quite a few blog posts, samples and examples
of people writing 3d engines in javascript meant to draw to the canvas
tag, which should work in most modern browsers.

Canvas Tag:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas_tag

Here's one I found particularly intriguing:
http://www.nihilogic.dk/labs/canvas3dtexture_0.2/

Good luck!

Mark