[nycphp-talk] amazon aws

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 14:39:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
>> been extremely pleased with the quality of the service.
>
> So is this the wave of the future then?  Is dedicated infrastructure going
> to go away?  Or only be around for high performance stuff like database
> servers, etc.?

EC2 rocks, except for the part where there is no per-instance
persistent storage. You have to build a scheme that backs everything
up to S3 or some other external store in case your instance goes away.
Apparently they are working on that, though.

I see the value in having dedicated infrastructure for development and
some core services, and then surrounding that with cloud or grid
services for redundancy and geographic diversity.

If you trust Amazon enough to store _everything_ there, then you don't
need physical servers. I doubt that most organizations will trust them
to that extent, as EC2 is a pretty juicy target for attackers at this
point.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/