[nycphp-talk] Setting up outgoing mail using Linux

PaulCheung paulcheung at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 14:57:13 EDT 2008

Can anybody help?

I am having problems trying to send automated emails using Linux, typically
order confirmation emails. I don't know how it is set-up and according to
the  manual I read it said "for unix only. You may supply arguments as well
(default: 'sendmail -t -i). sendmail_path = sendmail -t -i;

This didn't not work. I use 1and1 and they have setup the sendmail and I
found the sendmail path is /usr/sbin/sendmail

so I set sendmail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t'; This doesn't work
either - below is the snippet of code.
$headers = 'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();
sendmail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t';

$date = date("Y-m-d");

     $to = "$email1";
     $subject = "Your Account Number";
     $message = "Thank you for choosing HANWELL PRODUCTS

PLEASE MAKE A CAREFUL NOTE OF THIS INFORMATION AS WITHOUT IT YOU WILL NOT BE
ABLE ACCESS YOUR  HANWELL PRODUCTS ACCOUNT

Your USER-ID  is :  $userid

Your PASSWORD is :  $passcode

Your ACCOUNT  is :  $account

This Email was sent on : $account_date

";
$from    = "FROM: info at hanwellproducts.com";

echo "The email was sent : $date ";
mail ($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
?>

Can anybody show me what I am doing wrong?

Paul