[nycphp-talk] Disabling browser back button.

PaulCheung paulcheung at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 16:07:15 EDT 2008

Hi

Can anybody suggest a way around this problem or point me in the right
direction?

I have a genuinely legitimate reason to disable the browser back button, or
at least the pages that have anything to do with the PHP application I am
working on.

Here is the scenario
A user likes the on-line service provided and decides to purchase it using
one of the standard on-line payment methods, typically PayPal.

Once payment has been made, confirmed and received, the user is directed to
an customer account creation page. Here the user enters the usual standard
account details such as Name, Address, Telephone Number, User-Id, Password
and so on.

The application then generates an access code, which is automatically
emailed from the application to the customer. As a precaution all PHP
sessions variables are cleared, the "customer account creation page" is
cleared and the user steered away from the signup part of the application to
Google's main navigation page (this last bit being for testing purposes).

Here in lays the problem. After initial creation of the account code and
when the back button is pressed a few times, the user eventually return to
the "customer account creation page". Which is the step immediately
following payment validation. At this point, if the customer wants to create
another new account all she or he has to do is, fill it the form once more,
press submit and another new account is created. If the user just keeps
doing this, he or she just keeps on creating new accounts.

I have tried to disable the browser back button; but am unable to. I have
researched JavaScript solutions and learnt, if the user turns off
JavaScript, that is that.

Cheers

Paul