[nycphp-talk] mysql slow Internet connection trickery

Allen Shaw ashaw at polymerdb.org
Mon Jun 30 17:24:23 EDT 2008

Rolan Yang wrote:
> Allen Shaw wrote:
>> Patrick May wrote:
>>> The odd issue is connectivity. If there is no network connectivity
>>> to the primary mysql server, how can one use transactions to manage
>>> synchronization?
>> In fact there /is/ connectivity.  It's just bone-numbingly slow and
>> occassionally non-existent.
>
> Not sure how expensive telephone landlines are in Paraguay, but you
> might want to roll out your own network with on-demand dialups.. the
> same way credit card terminals work.

In a lot of cases that might work.  For us, the thing is we're here for
a single event of 5 days long (with a week or so of on-site prep before
that).  The network is dependent on local providers, vendors, local
staff, local budget, etc.  Our team usually works in US, Japan, Korea,
etc. where the band is a little broader.  If we could come up with a
system that works in this environment, we'd be much more ready to show
up on short notice in future similar situations.

- A.

--
Allen Shaw
slidePresenter (http://slides.sourceforge.net)