[nycphp-talk] PHP/MySQL environment problem??

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Mon Mar 3 13:13:05 EST 2008

PaulCheung wrote:
I looked over the code and a few things struck me odd (which doesn't mean they
are wrong!).

> //

You add this between each handful of lines without adding any informative
comment. I'd remove those slashes and make the code easier to read - or even
better add commentary.

> @ $cps;  //Current Page Starting row number
> @ $lps;  //Last Page Starting row number
> @ $rpp;  //Records Per Page

I have no idea what the significance of these lines is. The @ is usually used
to suppress error message output (IMHO a bad idea), but the statement (or lack
thereof) doesn't do anything.

> $q="SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS *
>     FROM tr_test_record
>  WHERE $access = tr_access";
> //
> $rs=mysql_query($q) or die(mysql_error());
> //
> $q0="Select FOUND_ROWS()";

When you run the query in the MySQL query editor, how many rows does MySQL return?
I always burn extra cycles and read the query results in a loop and increase a
counter. All the MySQL functions that return a count do that for the last
query run under the current connection, which may or may not be the last query
that your code ran.
I am not that familiar with all the SQL keywords, but it strikes me that
SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS returns already the count that you are looking for, which
is one result row. So counting that result later on will always be 1.
I rather have some of the SQL epxerts chime in here as I quickly move into an
area that I have no clue about.

> //
> $rs0=mysql_query($q0) or die(mysql_error());
> //
> $row0=mysql_fetch_array($rs0);
> //
> $nr0 = $row0["FOUND_ROWS()"];  //Number of rows found without LIMIT in
> action
> ?>

As mentioned above, I run a plain simple select query and increase a counter
while looping through the results returned. May not be as elegant and
efficient, but works reliably. I just don't gtee away from thinking that
SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS * FROM tr_test_record WHERE $access = tr_access
doesn't return what you expect it should (as far as I understand it thsi
already counts the rows that would be returned when running the query without
SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS). Plug that into the query browser and see what happens.
My uneducated guss is that you basically count how many row counts (not
rows!!!) there were in the last query, which should always be 1. But then
again, you say it works on Windoze....

David