[nycphp-talk] Is @$arr['key'] ok?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 21:14:13 EST 2008

On 3/8/08, Hans Zaunere <lists at zaunere.com> wrote:
> > Is there any preference for:
>  >
>  > $val = isset($arr['key']) ? $arr['key'] : null;
>

> This is preferred - it's actually doing something correct.
>
>  > vs:
>  >
>  > $val = @$arr['key'];
>
>  This is a hack, which causes an error, which you're then suppressing
>
>  Marcus and I discussed a shortcut for the first example at the last Montreal
>  PHP Conference, but I don't think it's been implemented yet.

Actually I've been using the following function a lot too:

function _array_val($a, $k, $d = null) {
    if (array_key_exists($k, $a))
        return $a[$k];
    if (func_num_args() == 3)
        return $d;
    throw new Exception("No such array key: $k");
}
--8<-- example --8<--
$val = _array_val($arr, 'key', false);

Of course it's a little slower but it makes for clean code.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO