[nycphp-talk] ColdFusion vs PHP (Ruby, Perl....)

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu May 1 11:31:26 EDT 2008

Pardon me for saying this, but there must be a reason why PHP has so
much more of a "market share", when it comes to picking a
platform/language for web development, than does Cold Fusion?  ...

Not sure what the exact percentages are or why PHP is so much more
widely used, but the situation is what it is.

-- Kristina

> David,
>
> I'm sorry I had only given you an enterprise resource (although you
can
> run BlueDragon with localhost access only for free). Here is a
fantastic
> community resource, that will allow you to really stress test that CF
> app: http://www.railo-technologies.com/en/index.cfm?treeID=149
> Some Javaheads like me think that this is even better than BlueDragon.
>
> Although I'm still a huge fan of CF8, as it has introduced inherent
PHP
> and Ruby support:

http://corfield.org/blog/index.cfm/do/blog.entry/entry/ColdFusion_8_runn
ing_PHP

> -Ed
>

> David Mintz wrote:
> > How about the non-free closed-sourcedness, or is it? I prefer
> > something I can download and run on my own pc if I please --  IOW
I'd
> > like to be able to run a replica of the live CF site without paying
> > anyone any money. The article on wikipedia said you could
> > "theoretically" run your CF app with an app server like Tomcat.
With
> > something like MySQL/PHP you can way more than "theoretically" run
> > copy of your production site on your own box, both technically and
> > legally.
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Webmaster
> > <consult at covenantedesign.com <mailto:consult at covenantedesign.com>>
wrote:

> >     Dave,
> >
> >     I work with Coldfusion day-in and day-out. It is a fantastic
> >     language that can get a lot of things done quickly. It's
powerful,
> >     versatile and has an easy-enough learning curve. Don't listen to
> >     anyone who just says 'PHP is better', or, 'If you're starting
from
> >     scratch, start with PHP', any evaluation to that degree is
coming
> >     from someone who has little to no experience with C vs. Java.
(Yes
> >     originally CF was written in C, but in much wisdom they moved to
> >     Java).
> >
> >     I am very well versed in CF and would be more than happy to
answer
> >     any of your questions off list David.
> >
> >     -Ed
> >     Me at EdwardPrevost.info
> >

> >         Flame me for starting this, I know it might get religious.
> >         But:  an organization of which I am a member is evaluating
> >         proposals to rebuild its website. One of those proposals is
> >         from some folks who apparently are partial to ColdFusion.
All