[nycphp-talk] ColdFusion vs PHP (Ruby, Perl....)

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu May 1 14:46:22 EDT 2008

Ed, I agree, it would be great if we could find some methodology that
could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt on an empirical basis that PHP
is a more popular platform than Cold Fusion.  I can't adequately defend
my contention to your exacting standards at the present moment, because
you're right, I don't have the data.  But I believe that the data is
gatherable and that my theory is valid.

So anyone have any ideas how to do that, links, information, empirical
studies, etc. etc & etc ... bring 'em on.

We could do an empirical analysis of job postings on 10 or so general
tech job boards over a time period of a year...?

PS Ed, your own link to the TIOBE website showed that they listed Cold
Fusion at the bottom of the popularity grid...and PHP was in the top
half.  But you're saying that you have "problems with their
methodology", OK.  But you can have problems with any methodology or
means of proof, and that in and of itself is an emotional
response...based on your beliefs and temperament...and btw there's
nothing wrong with that! :=]

I mean let's face it, people have "proved beyond doubt" all sorts of
things which flat out ain't so, right?

-- Kristina

> Kristina Anderson wrote:
> > Ed --
> >
> > My comment was solely intended to offer the theory that there is a
> > reason why PHP has so much more of a market share overall than does
> > Cold Fusion -- whatever that reason might be, and to solicit
comments
> > therein from the other people who post to this list as to what that
> > reason may be.
> >

> But you  are assuming your conclusion in your premise Kristina.
>
> "PHP has so much more of a market share overall than does Cold Fusion"
>
> You need to prove that before anyone, including members of this list,
> can even begin to look for 'the reason'.
> In other words you can't ask:
> "Why does PHP have a larger market share than Coldfusion?"
> Unless you can demonstrate that it does.
> You may 'feel' that is true, or even 'think' that it is, but that is
> poor (and emotional) scholarship.
> Show us some links. Give us some data. Prove that PHP "has so much
more
> of a market share overall", don't just declare it.
> > My impression on the much larger market share is primarily based on
the
> > fact that there are a lot more people looking to hire PHP
programmers
> > than there people looking to hire Cold Fusion programmers.
Therefore,