[nycphp-talk] ColdFusion vs PHP (Ruby, Perl....)

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu May 1 16:54:22 EDT 2008

Ed,

Hi again.  Let me try to clarify what I was trying to say.  I'm
enjoying this stimulating discussion on a lovely spring day when, let's
face it, it's hard to keep focused on work.

By saying that things can be proven that "ain't so" ... I was referring
not specifically to CS/IT related things but to so many cases
of "research" that are designed to support a contention that may not be
true but that certain people have an interest in "proving"...which may
not be relevant to what we are discussing, granted.  (As an example,
many studies that "proved" during the 40s and 50s that smoking and
radiation were not bad for your health!)  By which I meant to point out
that the methodology used to "prove" something is what is important,
that that methodology needs to be correct and accurate, or we
haven't "proven" anything -- GIGO in other words.

And I completely 100% agree that "search engine results" are not an
accurate measurement of language/platform popularity (and agree that
the TIOBE indexes, if based on that alone, are not accurate).  It seems
to me that the only way to measure this is to get some kind of
adequately sized sampling of what companies are actually using for
their development.

--Kristina

> Kristina Anderson wrote:
> > Ed, I agree, it would be great if we could find some methodology
that
> > could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt on an empirical basis that
PHP
> > is a more popular platform than Cold Fusion.  I can't adequately
defend
> > my contention to your exacting standards at the present moment,
because
> > you're right, I don't have the data.  But I believe that the data
is
> > gatherable and that my theory is valid.
> I do too. But I would like it quantified as well.
> > So anyone have any ideas how to do that, links, information,
empirical
> > studies, etc. etc & etc ... bring 'em on.
> >
> > We could do an empirical analysis of job postings on 10 or so
general
> > tech job boards over a time period of a year...?
> >
> That sounds interesting.
> > PS Ed, your own link to the TIOBE website showed that they listed
Cold
> > Fusion at the bottom of the popularity grid...and PHP was in the
top
> > half.  But you're saying that you have "problems with their
> > methodology", OK.  But you can have problems with any methodology
or
> > means of proof, and that in and of itself is an emotional
> > response...based on your beliefs and temperament...and btw there's
> > nothing wrong with that! :=]
> >

> I believe this to be a straw man.
> I never said I had "problems with their methodology". I said "which i
> think are erroneous", and logically so.
> I posted a link to the 2 illogical assumptions that support the TIOBE
> indexes as being fallacious.
> I will clearly list them here, as it seems you didn't follow that
link
> (poor scholarship):
> # that the number of search engine hits for the phrase “/foo/
programming”
> is proportional to the “popularity” of that language.
> # that the proportionality /is the same for different languages/.
> It is therefore logically unsound to deduce that the TIOBE indexes
are
> correct in a truly accurate esteem.
> All they are graphing reduces to search engine results, and nothing
more.

> > I mean let's face it, people have "proved beyond doubt" all sorts
of
> > things which flat out ain't so, right?
> >
> > -- Kristina
> >
> I'm not sure what you are looking to express with that (perhaps
> rhetorical?) question.
>
> <X>Out of curiosity<X>
> <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>
> What would be an example of something "proved beyond doubt"
that "flat
> out ain't so"?
> (Please refrain from listing some historic event of ignorance, such
as
> meat becoming maggots or the Earth being flat. We are discussing a
> comparison of actual market holding betwixt two modern programming
> languages. Feel free to respond off list.)
> <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>
>
> In fact, there is not a clearly quantified amount of conclusive
> information to accurately deduce that PHP (or any other language)
holds