[nycphp-talk] submitting two forms with one button - possible?

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sat May 24 10:39:43 EDT 2008

At 9:00 PM -0400 5/23/08, Rolan Yang wrote:
>tedd wrote:
>>Another consideration is that PayPal provides a link back to your
>>"Thank You page" -- so why not send your variables through PayPal
>>via a GET, such as:
>>
>>thankyou.php?<your variables>
>>
>>From there you can pick them up and put them in your database.
>
>Nice! The IPN api allows an "other" field which can pass up to 255
>characters, but that is likely not enough for large forms. Your
>method looks like it could allow a lot more. Any idea of the
>limitations?
>
>~Rolan

Rolan:

As I answered to someone else privately:

I use two different methods to handle PayPal purchases:

[1.] One is to use their code and my product ID for simple
transactions, as seen here:

http://ancientstones.com/pic.php?pageNum=93

The item number and buyer specifics is provide back from PayPal so I
know what was purchased and who purchased it.

[2.] The other is where my code determines the amount; sends a
request for authorization to PayPal with the users name, cc#, CIV,
and amount; waits for an authorization back from PayPal; and when
that happens, it records the purchase and the transaction
authorization in the database.

[1] is simple -- you use PayPal to collect all the sensitive data.

[2] is involved -- you need a merchant account with PayPal and there
are liabilities and responsibilities to consider.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------