[nycphp-talk] Converting the pesky MS Word quotes and other characters

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sun Nov 2 22:49:50 EST 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Joseph Crawford wrote:

> Has anyone on here found a viable solution? Everything seems to work
> on the www side of things but as soon as i use the data in an RSS
> feed it does not seem to like the MS Word characters.

This might be helpful, particularly the comments:

http://shiflett.org/blog/2005/oct/convert-smart-quotes-with-php

I have had the whole RSS problem explained to me before by an
accessibility guru, and as I recall, it has something to do with
namespaces. The solution is to use numerical entities rather than
named entities, because stuff like &hearts will make your feed
invalid. This sounds like what you're encountering.

(I need to update my post with this information, so I don't forget it
again.)

Hope that helps.

Chris

--