[nycphp-talk] NetBeans/PHP

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 20:29:40 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Konstantin Rozinov <krozinov at gmail.com> wrote:
> can anyone recommend a good (free would be a big plus but not
> necessary) IDE for PHP?
> Is Zend Studio the most popular one out there?

Vim.

No doubt a lot of people will think I'm kidding but seriously, nothing
is faster than Vim once you get used to the mnemonics because it
doesn't use the mouse pointer. I run 12 xterms w/ Vim on 6 different
desktops.

Note that even though Vim users are in the minority these days, a lot
of serious programmers use it. As a matter of fact, if you're going to
mention Zend Studio, I can tell you that a number of Zend people use
Vim.

My only gripe with Vim is that the maintainers have a tendency to
"improve" it once in a while which means you have to spend a lot of
time disabling things. For example, vim's syntax highlighting is so
obnoxious I would not be surprised if it caused epileptic seizures in
otherwise normal individuals. I just turn it off because I don't want
my code to look like ransom note. Also, for some reason vim can try to
be helpful and insert text for you like indentation space and comment
fragments. My config consists almost entirely of commands to disable
"features".

Mike

--
Michael B Allen