[nycphp-talk] NetBeans/PHP

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 12:37:59 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Wen Huang <wenhuang at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're in the market for an IDE, you should evaluate NetBeans for PHP,
> here's the quick pitch:
> - open source (free)
> - tiny download (30mb)
> - PHP editor with integrated support for HTML/CSS/JavaScript (code
> completion, hints, templates, etc...)
> - Database Explorer/SQL Editor (with a focus on MySQL)
> - Debugging via Xdebug
> - JavaScript debugging for Firefox and IE(Win)
> - Version Control support
>
> Oh, and it's fast.

I downloaded NetBeans/PHP on a netbook and I have to agree with the
fast part. Very impressive.

I would probably consider switching except that it doesn't seem to be
particularly code-intelligent yet. Not surprising given how new it is,
but it doesn't immediately catalog the php objects and functions it
finds in your files the way that Zend Studio does.

Perhaps I'm missing a way to tell the ide about classes and function
libraries you (re)use in your code? This may all be documented
somewhere, I just tried it for the first time last night...

Chris Snyder
http://chxor.chxo.com/