[nycphp-talk] OT: huge file transfer

Fernando Gabrieli fgabrieli at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 10:14:14 EST 2008

i have developed a very simple yousendit.com clon with a progress bar, but i
dont think HTTP is the best protocol to transfer big files (like 1 Gb or
more, at least from my experience, but i know that some clients ask for
these kind of websites)

i also noticed when doing it that PHP 5.x doesnt have anything to control
the state of the uploads, i read about something called APC but i didnt try
it

i used AJAX for the client side to send the request to start the upload and
a Perl implementation on the server side because of this

unless you really have something tested that will let you know the state of
each upload it is very difficult to be sure that all the files are complete

you cant create a hash from client side since Javascript will not let you
access any files on the user fs (this is ok because of security reasons)

if the implementation involves calling different JS functions during the
upload process you will also have to check that the browsers dont leak
memory (because with 1 GB files those leaks are very big and may cause IE /
Firefox to crash)

(sorry for my english)