[nycphp-talk] Timing an Input Form Entry

Brent Baisley brenttech at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 08:42:26 EDT 2008

If you put a time stamp in the form, you should also include a "check"
to make sure the time was not changed and/or forged (which is very
easy to do).
An easy way to do this is to include another hidden field that is an
md5 hash of the time plus a secret pass phrase that only resides on
the server. When the form is submitted, you take the submitted time
plus the pass phrase md5 hash and make sure it matches the submitted
md5 hash.
Ideally your md5 hash would use more than 2 pieces of information, but
you get the idea.

Brent Baisley