[nycphp-talk] Collaborative Software

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 14:36:07 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
> A little OT, but since it will most likely be programmed in PHP, I'm looking
> to see what others have developed and/or used.
>
> I need to setup an "Intranet" for my FTJ.  In this Intranet I was going to
> include a bunch of things, like nagios, cacti, and a wiki.
>
> The problem is that the requirements for the Intranet go well beyond what a
> simple wiki can accomplish.  Not only do we need a wiki for documentation,
> but we also need a way to:
>
>        - Share files with versioninng
>        - Create tickets for tasks (RT?)
>        - Track bugs (bugzilla?) and new feature requests for development
>        - "Project manage" new development projects
>        - etc.
>
> I was going to setup tikiwiki or dokuwiki, along with bugzilla, and perhaps
> RT, and a few other things, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend an
> "all in one" solution that includes wiki+file sharing+project manangement
> tools+ticketing+task tracking, etc.
>
> If not, I'll most likely go the independent software route.  Thanks for any
> suggestions!
>
> -Matt

Hi Matt,

You can combine KnowledgeTree, Drupal, Subversion, WebDAV / Apache
ModDav, WebSVN, Eventum (to do over I'd use Drupal tracker, or
something else), FreeMind, MediaWiki, and TaskJuggler into a complete
platform.  Still, it's a lot of work and depends entirely on
adoption/fitting into the organizations workflows.  I did not get a
chance to actually document or share much of the "how to" of that
system, but hope to someday.  There are a lot of possibilities out
there, but no matter how well crafted the solution is, the success is
going to depend more on how motivated and engaged people are in seeing
the system meet their needs.

I would have to say that even among big/enterprise solutions, there is
not a single product that does everything you mention.

One other thought is that Ubuntu has a pretty good system (in several
parts) that can stand as a model -- but it's neither available to
install, nor a single solution.  It bears repeating that their system
too is highly dependent on agreements between educated participants
about methods and procedures of the system.

Greg
--
skype/aim/irc freephile
home office 978-225-8302