[nycphp-talk] Need some understanding about a hacker attack...

Brian Williams brianw1975 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 10:03:37 EDT 2008

this totally sucks and i'm sorry to hear this happened.  It sounds like
you'll need a crash course in Apache configuration...

My advice to you is to do a couple things:

a) Most importantly, consider *finding a new host*, because
  1) they should have records of all connectivity to that server
  2) their system is obviously insecure and when it comes to server security
i believe that hosts have a '1 strike and you are out' grace period
  3) the hacker probably got in through ssh if he was able to set
permissions to the point where you were not able to delete them (they were
probably under ownership of the account he used to hack the system)

b) assuming that the .htaccess is local to the /xml directory only
  1) (if you haven't done so already) create a .htaccess file in the root
directory and put 'Options -Indexes in that
  2) IIRC this: "<files "*.*">Deny from All</files>" is useless because
"<files "*.*">Allow from 127.0.0.1 localhost</files>" will override it WITH
the following caveat: the *main* apache config has to have AllowOverride All
specified

The use of .htaccess files can be disabled completely by setting the
> AllowOverride<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#allowoverride>directive to
> none:

that means you could make changes to your .htaccess file all day long and
nothing will change (which i think is the problem on both machines, but not
exactly sure since I don't have specifics of file names, references to those
file names, etc)

  3) if your .htaccess file is working correctly i think you want something
more along the lines of

<FilesMatch "\..+$">
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from All