[nycphp-talk] Newbie books

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:43:42 EDT 2008

Professor Porciello,

I'm quite confused here. The book is called programming perl, and the
cover indicated it also has a Python edition to it. Also your
responding to an email on a php list about a person that wants to
learn PHP better.

So, does this book have a PHP section? Are you suggesting that this is
the best book on OOP out there and the OP would be best served
learning OOP theory from it?

There is one negative review on Amazon saying that the authors seem to
rewrite the same book over and over again in different languages, and
that perl due to its weirdness is not well served by this book. IMHO
That *MIGHT* would serve as a positive review in this case, because
the problem with perl is you can write it in any paradim you want
,procedural, functional, OO, etc. If this book is designed around
generic OOP principles that apply to other languages, instead of
teaching you all the perlisms, both good and bad, then it might have
merit to a PHP Programmer

Corey,

Just out of curosity, do you disagree with the syntax of static
function, or just not understand their purpose? Can you suggest a
syntax you would prefer? The syntax btw is taken from C++. It is
obtuse on one hand, but on the other hand its immediatly clear your
calling a static function for a class and not a member function of an
object.

Regards,

Justin Dearing