[nycphp-talk] Timeouts ... how to get around it?

Elijah Insua tmpvar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 02:47:14 EDT 2008

mikez,

I would suggest you break this down a bit, for instance instead of running
13000 sql queries, do a simple look up using IN.

For example:

'SELECT * FROM table WHERE email IN ("' . implode('","',$emailsArray) . '")'

Also, selecting columns by name gives a performance boost.
(I'm also guessing that you are going to be performing an action on the
email by its id)

'SELECT email_id FROM table WHERE email in ("' . implode('","',$emailsArray)
. '")'

If this query gets too large, you can always break the loop down into
smaller increments
so instead of processing all of the email addresses at once, you could break
it into 1000
increments.

These techniques combined with the indexing should speed things up for you.

Oh and by the way, if this is running on every page load I would add some
sort of caching routine
so it only runs every 15 minutes or so.

Hope it helps!

-- Elijah Insua