[nycphp-talk] Dealing with forum spammers

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Tue Oct 14 13:31:20 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 12:39, csnyder wrote:
> I would design it so that everything went through a
> spam filter first, and the bigger the better. Like GMail if you can
> accept that from a privacy point of view, or your organization's
> internal spam filter. Then, and only then, would I allow the filtered
> comments/responses back into the web system.
>
> The downside is a huge increase in complexity, and a potential lack of
> transparency (false positives are a problem, and how do you train the
> system?). But comment spam IS spam, they are the same problem.
> Actually a little worse, because it's much easier to find comments
> forms on the web than it is to find working email addresses.

Akismet should be mentioned here, a popular spam detection ASP, free for
non-commercial use
http://akismet.com/

Have used it in a couple sites, easy to use API and it has a really good
effect. False positives about 2% of the time - but you can usually see why
it "thought" they were spam....  The admin backend has a comment log where
moderator can manually approve where needed, similar to wordpress.

enjoy,
Sam