[nycphp-talk] Dynamic/Scripting Languages

Brian D. brian at realm3.com
Mon Sep 8 11:11:21 EDT 2008

Good read, and I appreciate the post. However, I had one semantic
issue that bugs me here:

"Much of the Web has traditionally been created using dynamic
languages, from Ajax on the client to server code written in PHP,
Perl, Python and Ruby."

AJAX is not a "language"! Grrr. Of course this is Lam, who works at
Microsoft, so you have to forgive him I suppose.

I've definitely seen Javascript rise in prominence of what I do on a
daily basis. It's starting to take up more and more of my time as
clients go from wanting back-end functionality to matching front-end
wizardry.

-Brian D.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Peter Sawczynec <ps at sun-code.com> wrote:
> Very nice read thank you. Ahhh, so then where and/or what's next.
>
> Now that AJAX and AJAX-like technique in the new browser/desktop
> environment is rapidly becoming a defacto standard and google has rolled
> out their new Chrome browser (the thin edge of the wedge in the google
> adhoc, distributed, net browser/OS initiative up against hemmed-in MSFT)
> which behaves very AJAX like. (I downloaded Chrome. It does have a nice
> business-like, stay out of your way feel. Positions your bookmarks
> collection on the right. Which for a rightie, does seem to feel like a
> natural place to have them. For me the right hand bookmarks feel so
> natural, it almost doesn't feel natural.)
>
> So going mobile. Mobile platform -- that is what it next (actually now).
> And like AJAX, mobile didn't announce itself. It just happened
> everywhere, at the same time.
>
> Mobile phone = Calendar/planner, contacts, GPS w/ text to speech
> turn-by-turn instructions, wi-fi connection, browser interface to web,
> 911 emergency tool, weather, news, camera, webcam, game console, music
> player, video player, TV, walkie talkie, pdf reader, Flash player, JAVA
> platform, email send/receive, texting, call log and lastly phone calls.
> All timed, merchandised in flexible contract and non-contract configs,
> and parentally-controlled (if desired), while packaged in an infinite
> array of sizes, materials, user customizable interfaces and audio
> stylings.
>
> Excellent pictorial roundup of best in class businessy Smartphones (non-
> iPhone) overview here:
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/smartphones/showArticl
> e.jhtml?articleID=209101183
>

> Warmest mobile regards,
>

> Peter Sawczynec
> Technology Dir.
> Sun-code Interactive
> Sun-code.com
> 941.893.0396
> ps at sun-code.com

realm3 web applications [realm3.com]
Information architecture, application development.
phone: (917) 512-3594
fax: (440) 744-3559