[nycphp-talk] W3 Schools?

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 23:33:47 EDT 2009

My $2*10^-2,
Zend PHP5 certification is $125. For $165 you get the self study lit that
comes with a PDF, 10 online practice tests, and a voucher for the exam.
Passing the exam gets you listed in the zend yellow pages, and you can join
an exclusive group on linked in.

I took and passed the test on Monday with minimal preparation. I have not
written PHP regularly since 2007, but wrote an entire media sharing portal
in PHP for a site that never launched before then. Since then all my PHP
hacking has been for writing sample applications for talks I gave at LIPHP
and a little bit of hacking on an open source project called
http://www.andromeda-project.org/. I've been a full time .NET developer
since then, and thats all been back end ETL coding. So I am by no means a
PHP expert, and I'm a bit rusty.

On the brainbench side of things, I took the unix and apache brainbench when
I got hired as a junior unix and as/400 operator a few years back, I passed
both without special preparation.

Overall I think the problem with PHP certification is there is no advanced
certification. Cisco has the CCIE. Microsoft has the MSCE and MCPD. Netware
has (and I assume still has) the CNE. Redhat has advanced certification
beyond the RHCE. I have something to show companies that I've mastered the
PHP basics. There's no formal certification I can obtain to say I have
advanced knowledge of PHP.

Regards,

Justin Dearing