[nycphp-talk] Escrow Service

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:01:03 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Mona Borham <monalisa20042006 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I wanted to know where can I find escrow service script or how can I begin
> one? because I don't find much in that also I never coded a web service

Code escrow is something that has been nagging me from multiple angles lately.

In fact I have one customer right now who wants an escrow clause in
their agreement that they can invoke on demand. They agree to pay the
annual fee of course and they have very limited rights to the source.

Unfortunately professional code escrow services seem unfairly
expensive to me. It's at least $500 USD per year.

But I'm wondering if there's a way to do this on-the-cheap. For
example, I would have no problem supplying customers with source
packages encrypted with something ridiculously hard to crack. Then all
I would need is a document that lists beneficiaries, the encryption
key, how to decrypt a package, do a Will, get it notarized and put it
all in a safe deposit box. There ya go - poor man's code escrow.

It's also serves as an extra offsite backup since presumably the
source packages would be pushed around to (or pulled by) different
customers on a regular basis.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen