[nycphp-talk] PHP hosting and standard tool-chain for newbie?

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 12:24:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A young family member has a domain that I used to host until I started
> doing real business with credit cards and such at which point I had to
> shut her down. So now I'm wondering if I can find somewhere cheap to
> host her site where she can mess around with PHP and web design.
>
> What do you recommend for cheap PHP hosting?
>
> Also, what is the standard tool-chain for developing your HTML, PHP,
> JavaScript and then uploading it to your site? I use vim, tar and scp
> glued together with shell scripts but for her I'm hoping for a really
> simple point-n-click experience.
>
> She uses a Macbook.
>
> Mike

I've been pretty happy with Media Temple (mt) -- they're grid service
is reasonably priced and seems compatible with visually-oriented
Mac-type people. It may be overkill for what you want to do, but it
will give her plenty of room to grow. Comes with snap-in WordPress and
other apps.

iWeb is great for point-click page composition, and of course it's
integreated with iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band. Like MySpace on
steroids!

Transmit is the best Mac SFTP/FTPS client for Mac if your hosting
provider doesn't support the WebDAV scheme that iWeb uses.

   chris.