NYCPHP Meetup

[nycphp-talk] ORM that uses more advanced MySQL features

Guilherme Blanco guilhermeblanco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:48:47 EDT 2009


Nice to meet you too!!!

I just can't remember why I joined the mailing list... I'm from São
Paulo, Brazil! =) IIRC, it was due to good discussions on this list.

Cheers,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM,  <y2rob at aol.com> wrote:
> ahh yes..nice.  cool nice to meet you and btw, i mean that "i am currently
> working with doctrine" in my last email.
>
> nice to see some great people are on this mailing list!!!
>
> sincerely,
> ~rob
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Guilherme Blanco <guilhermeblanco at gmail.com>
> To: NYPHP Talk <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
> Sent: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 2:16 pm
> Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] ORM that uses more advanced MySQL features
>
> Specially for people like you, Doctrine provide a couple of CLI tasks
>
> that can do a lot of things.
>
>
>
> For example... you can define your models into an YAML file, and simply
> call:
>
>
>
> php ./doctrine.php generate-models-yaml
>
>
>
> It'll generate all models based on the YAML schema.
>
> Then, simply do:
>
>
>
> php ./doctrine.php generate-sql
>
>
>
> And you'll have an optimized SQL file in the specified folder... or,
>
> if you want to automatically apply the SQLs in DB...
>
>
>
> php ./doctrine.php build-all-reload
>
>
>
> This task will create models from YAML, execute the SQLs in DB and
>
> also import any basic import data that is defined through fixtures. To
>
> import only the fixtures:
>
>
>
> php ./doctrine.php load-data
>
>
>
>
>
> T
> here're some people that already have some legacy code (like you) and
>
> wants to migrate to Doctrine. The CLI command of Doctrine provide one
>
> specific command to grab everything from your DB and generate the
>
> models automatically.
>
>
>
> php ./doctrine.php generate-models-db
>
>
>
> The only issue with this command is the relations between each table,
>
> which cannot be built automatically, since the DESC TABLE XXX may
>
> different between all supported DBMS, aswell in the same DBMS, each
>
> version may be different. We could not make it be built automatically.
>
>
>
>
>
> Currently Doctrine is in version 1.1.0, we're about to release 1.1.1.
>
> Also we'll release 1.0.9, which is our LTS (Long Term/Time Support)
>
> version.
>
>
>
> Manual is full of details about CLI tasks... to configure the CLI task
>
> is quite trivial... a 15 lines scripts and you have all the power of
>
> Doctrine at the palm of your hands.
>
>
>
>
>
> BTW... I'm one of the core developers of Doctrine if you didn't notice! =D
>
>
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM,  <y2rob at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> i've heard about doctrine and i am not working with it, and i love and
>> hate
>
>> it.  i think once you spend the time to set it up (minus certain quirks
>> with
>
>> doctrine migrations),  it will do a pretty decent job, but if you have a
>
>> large (and i mean large) database, you'll can spend a good amount of time
>
>> creating your models before=2
> 0you start doing actual php coding.
>
>>
>
>> the point being, is if i were to start a project and if i deemed it worthy
>
>> to use doctrine as the model in an mvc style project, then it's great (esp
>
>> for migrations), but if i had an existing huge database and you wanted to
>
>> refactor the project and wanted minimal development time with great
>> results,
>
>> i would lean more towards using a framework like codeigniter.  minimal
>> model
>
>> defining and rapid development with fairly great retrieval of data, and
>
>> method chaining.
>
>>
>
>> it all depends on the situation
>
>>
>
>> ~rob
>
>> ps - sorry for going on the tangent
>
>>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>
>> From: Guilherme Blanco <guilhermeblanco at gmail.com>
>
>> To: NYPHP Talk <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
>
>> Sent: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:46 pm
>
>> Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] ORM that uses more advanced MySQL features
>
>>
>
>> Doctrine_View is able to handle views in any DBMS.
>
>>
>
>> Also, you can manually map the view if you want to work on updatable
>
>> views, just like Oracle supports.
>
>>
>
>> Stored procedures works on the fly, just like a common function call.
>
>> Doctrine does something like that:
>
>> In case DQL can interpret it, apply the custom workarounds, otherwise,
>
>> just bypass it to DBMS driver.
>
>>
>
>> If not enough, you can use Doctrine_RawSql
>  to create your custom DBMS
>
>> specific call, when DQL is not smart enough to handle the query
>
>> (something like UNIONS or SELECT of a selected query table: SELECT *
>
>> FROM (SELECT ...))
>
>>
>
>> If you need more guidance on it, feel free to subscribe to
>
>> doctrine-user or doctrine-dev mailing lists.
>
>> We also have IRC channel at freenode #doctrine and a forum in the website.
>
>>
>
>> Finally... manual have been updated a lot recently. We're releasing a
>
>> printed version in the next couple of weeks.
>
>>
>
>>
>
>> Cheers,
>
>>
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Marcelo Araujo
>
>> <marcelosaraujo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Since when, Guilherme?
>
>>>
>
>>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Guilherme Blanco
>
>>> <guilhermeblanco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>> www.doctrine-project.org
>
>>>>
>
>>>> =)
>
>>>>
>
>>>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Ajai Khattri <ajai@ bitblit.net> wrote:
>
>>>>>
>
>>>>> Does anyone know of an ORM that can use views and stored procedures in
>
>>>>> MySQL?
>
>>>> --
>
>>>> Guilherme Blanco - Web Developer
>
>>>> CBC - Certified Bindows Consultant
>
>>>> Cell Phone: +55 (16) 9215-8480
>
>>>> MSN: guilhermeblanco at hotmail.com
>
>
>>>> URL: http://blog.bisna.com
>
>>>> São Paulo - SP/Brazil
>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>
>>>> New York PHP User Group Community Talk Mailing List
>
>>>> http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/talk
>
>>>>
>
>>>> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>>
>
>>> --
>
>>> Marcelo Araujo
>
>>> Zend Certified Engineer
>
>>> http://www.crosi.com.br
>
>>> +55 34 9144 1472
>
>>> _______________________________________________
>
>>> New York PHP User Group Community Talk Mailing List
>
>>> http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/talk
>
>>>
>
>>> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>
>>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>>
>
>> --
>
>> Guilherme Blanco - Web Developer
>
>> CBC - Certified Bindows Consultant
>
>> Cell Phone: +55 (16) 9215-8480
>
>> MSN: guilhermeb lanco at hotmail.com
>
>> URL: http://blog.bisna.com
>
>> São Paulo - SP/Brazil
>
>> _______________________________________________
>
>> New York PHP User Group Community Talk Mailing List
>
>> http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/talk
>
>>
>
>> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>
>>
>
>> ________________________________
>
>> A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!
>
>> _______________________________________________
>
>> New York PHP User Group Community Talk Mailing List
>
>> http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/talk
>
>>
>
>> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> Guilherme Blanco - Web Developer
>
> CBC - Certified Bindows Consultant
>
> Cell Phone: +55 (16) 9215-8480
>
> MSN: guilhermeblanco at hotmail.com
>
> URL: http://blog.bisna.com
>
> São Paulo - SP/Brazil
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> New York PHP User Group Community Talk Mailing List
>
> http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/talk
>
>
>
> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>
>
> ________________________________
> A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!
> _______________________________________________
> New York PHP User Group Community Talk Mailing List
> http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/talk
>
> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
>



-- 
Guilherme Blanco - Web Developer
CBC - Certified Bindows Consultant
Cell Phone: +55 (16) 9215-8480
MSN: guilhermeblanco at hotmail.com
URL: http://blog.bisna.com
São Paulo - SP/Brazil



More information about the talk mailing list