[nycphp-talk] Barcodes

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Thu Aug 6 18:53:30 EDT 2009

Many barcode reading devices act as a keyboard emulator via USB or PS2
connector.

I have written keyboardless touchscreen and barcode scanner kiosk apps
based on apache/php.
One simple trick is to create a form on the page and have a body onload
javascript running that does a constant "focus" to the form field. That
way input from the scanner is always entered into the form.  If you
don't want the field to be visible, use some css to make it the same
color as the background or very tiny in size. The scanner device should
read the barcode, dump it to the form field and send an "enter" key when
done.

~Rolan