[nycphp-talk] Java provides???

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 07:44:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:16 AM, David Krings<ramons at gmx.net> wrote:
> I learned assembler on the Z80 and the editor that we had was really not
> much more than a somewhat better text editor. It may depend on the
> development kit that is available for the platform.

Which brings up an interesting point. I was recently in a shop where
all of the senior developers were MIT alumni. They all had these crazy
whack-daddy split rounded ergonomic keyboards, and they all worked
almost exclusively in emacs.

This didn't indicate to me that this was the best environment, but one
that required enough effort to get comfortable in to be restricting.
Take the jimi hendrix keyboards away, or take emacs away, and these
dudes were in a heap o' hurt 'n' pain!

I wonder if our strong opinions on environments are more driven by
comfort than actual features and whatnot? I got so used to kate and
quanta - I lived in KDE for 6 years and never really got over it - and
still miss them although I have plenty of really incredible tools in
OSX as well...

-- Mitch