[nycphp-talk] Working with designers

Kristina D. H. Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu Aug 20 10:34:08 EDT 2009

I agree and understand, but also think that it benefits companies to
separate out these duties.  A programmer is usually a very substandard
graphic designer, and vice versa.  It's very fortunate that your
company had the luck to find two programmers who not only are competent
doing Production work but don't mind doing it...they may find their
luck changing if the job market picks up methinks :)

Kristina

> That really depends on how your environment is set up.  If there is no
> "Production department" then that very well may be the job of the
> developer.  I work with one other 'developer' and one 'designer' on
all of
> our projects.  The designer hands us a PSD, and one of us is left to
> translate it in to html/css/javascript.
>
> Having separate departments / employees who handle things like PSD ->
HTML
> translations is great if you have it, but not everyone does.
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Kristina D. H. Anderson <
> ka at kacomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems to me that in the post you refer to below, the "designers"
are
> > confused about what a "developer" is.  A "developer" does not
translate
> > a PDF or comp or whatever they are calling it these days into an
HTML
> > page...that is a job for the production people in the Production
> > department.
> >
> > By the time this thing gets anywhere near a developer, it should
> > already be laid out in HTML adequate to the designer's perspective,
> > i.e. be a dead UI that needs to be brought to life by the magic of
> > code.  OK most of the time the form code is rather sparse and needs
> > be enhanced, but that's fine.
> >
> > I'd avoid like the plague any "designers" who think developers have
> > time to waste doing Production layouts....what's next, I don't
suppose
> > they'd also like us to pick up their drycleaning? :)
> >
> > Kristina
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I discovered a great resource a few months back:
> > > http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/
> > >
> > > One post in particular, http://bit.ly/designers-developers , got
me
> > > thinking about workign with designers.  Since we have no design
staff
> > in
> > > our shop per se (the technical office of an academic library), my
PHP