[nycphp-talk] Working with designers

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Wed Aug 26 00:51:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, lists at nopersonal.info wrote:

> Last but not least, designers & developers need to respect each other's
> professional expertise. I've met designers who are contemptuous of
> coders & developers, seeing them as little more ill-tempered, geeky
> "code monkeys" whose sole sense of taste lies in their mouths. Likewise,
> I've met coders & developers who view designers as spoiled,
> temperamental artistic types who deal in "make it pretty" fluff that
> lacks any real importance. Sometimes both are true, but most of the time
> not. Good design, like good web development, comes from years of
> hard-won experience and dedication to craft.

My experience has been that often designers dont think of developer's as
creative peers. Its a different kind of creativity and its not just laying
code in a pre-determined order - there are often many ways to accomplish
the same functionality. Coming up with an elegant and maintainable
architecture is also very important.

--
Aj.