[nycphp-talk] MongoDB and others, convince me. :-)

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 14:38:37 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Brian O'Connor <gatzby3jr at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be a bit of a side topic, but does anyone have any good resources
> to read about this noSQL stuff?  I've looked VERY briefly at MongoDB, but
> didn't think it was anything that amazingly fantastical that everyone seems
> to be talking about.  But if it is the next generation, I'd like to be on
> board.

You can see Dwight Merriman, founder of 10gen (MongoDB), and his most
recent presentation online in HD:

    http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/25943056

In it he discusses the different categories of noSQL databases, as
well as the differences, strengths/weaknesses of each implementation
approach. Actually a good overview of noSQL, not just about MongoDB.

In the end you should play with one or more just to get a feel for how
they would impact your development. I think it is very understated how
going non-relational can benefit the development process.

Ajai's points on JSON is also a killer feature of sorts, as you can
really leverage rich data structures (and nested data) via Ajax and
RIA with zero transformation needed.

My previous post ended with a somewhat silly analogy of horse
carriages and jet planes. However that is why most folks are usually
unimpressed when they evaluate - as they make the mistake of forcing a
relational model on a document database.

-- Mitch