[nycphp-talk] run my own mail server or use a 3rd party service?

Leam Hall leam at reuel.net
Sat Dec 26 06:44:31 EST 2009

Konstantin K wrote:
> On Friday, December 25, 2009, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
>> Not really - simply relying on SMTP from a PHP script is not really a
>> reliable (or efficient) way to send out email. Much better to have a
>> dedicated mail server that can queue the email, handle retries and
>> bounces, etc. Your PHP script should just hand off the email to your mail
>> server.
>>

> That's exactly what I'm doing :). But I'm trying to avoid having to
> setup another box with postifx and all the other stuff on it.
> Basically I don't want to maintain my own SMTP server. I'd like a 3rd
> party service which I can just send the emails to and they would send
> it out on my behalf

Okay, coffee's kicking it and I think I get this a little more. Of
course, I could be wrong...

Check out DynDNS. I've used them for DNS and mail port altering services
when I hosted my own site in-house (literally). Their support was always
pretty good. When I get back to doing stuff this will be the first place
I look for a solution.

	http://www.dyndns.com/services/mailhop/outbound.html

Leam