[nycphp-talk] PHP and Flex

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:05:05 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Artur Marnik <artur at marnik.net> wrote:
> Hi all
>

> From what I read I can use just zend_amf without the framework - does anyone
> has any experience with it?

I have experience with amfphp, and it works as promised  (no
experience with Zend_AMF).  However, if I could do it over again, I
would probably just use json / json-rpc.  AMF is a really tight
serialization format, but it makes debugging a pain in the neck
because it is not human readable.  AMF has some performance advantages
if you are sending loads of binary data, and it has features for
dynamic record sets.

I avoid XML where possible for communicating with the client.  With
XML you have to write custom code to serialize and deserialize, or
bundle a massive soap library on the client side.

-John Campbell